Saturday, September 26, 2009

WWGD?

Just before leaving Thailand, I decided to get a book to read on the plane. I went to my fav bookstore kino and grab whatever seems the most interesting at that moment. I was gonna pick a book of brief history of England, but I thought I'd probably never finish it. And so I found this book that caught my eye with the title 'What Would Google Do?' and yes it's colored like that lol
I didnt read it on the plane, however. It felt at that time too nauseous to be doing anything but sleeping lol. So I just had the time to read few days ago and I found it very intersting.
Google is unquestionably the best search engine and the richest internet business on earth. Before reading the book: Yea, so what. I'll just wait for its new product. (btw google wave is coming soon in case you dont know that)
After reading the book: HOW did it manage to do that?
There are so many ideas that can be derived by looking at google's business. cant giv all of them of course. Here's a few.

Be a platform - youtube, facebook, flickr, etc.
Free is a business model - if you're not providing something at the lowest cost available, someone else will, and so go will ur customer
The post-scarcity economy - you cant sell anythn based on scarcity anymore, everything in internet based economy is always in abundance. Find opportunity in there instead.

There's a lot more ideas in the book on why the old ideas will not work anymore in near future. Til that time, what would u do? I'll ask 'WWGD?'

No comments:

Post a Comment